How often should you clean your oriental rug? The answer to this question can vary depending on many different factors. Here are a few tips to follow when cleaning your Persian or other type of oriental rugs.
We Provide Expert Rug Cleaning in Monmouth, and Ocean Counties in NJ
Cleaning Oriental Rugs
Those of you with Oriental rugs know that they’re heavy, not to mention they can be worth a lot of money. However, traditional cleaning methods call for braving the stairs, or elevator, to take the rug to the cleaner’s place. In this article, we’ll cover what you should know about oriental rug cleaning before taking it to the cleaners.
How Often Should Oriental Rugs Be Cleaned?
In general, you should clean your carpet once every year. This applies to carpets of all styles, sizes, and materials. However, there are times when it is important to clean more often than once a year. For example, if there are children or pets in your home, then you may need to clean several times throughout the year due to the increased amount of foot traffic or accidents that occur on the carpet. If someone living inside your home has asthma or allergies, then a yearly cleaning is probably not enough because airborne pollutants can get lodged deep into the fibers of the rug and cause an allergic reaction over time.
Another way to know if you need an additional cleaning session is if any stains happen during the year that were not able to be removed with home remedies, a store-bought cleaner, or spot remover. You’ll need to have your carpet professionally cleaned as soon as possible after this happens because otherwise, permanent staining could occur which will require replacing the entire oriental rug rather than just having it cleaned professionally again.
How to Clean an Oriental Rug
Hand-knotted Oriental rugs are made of fibers that require extra care. With many different types of hand-woven rugs, each type requires a different kind of cleaning method. For example, some rugs can be hand washed while others can only be dry cleaned or vacuumed. How you clean your rug depends on whether it’s wool or silk and whether the rug is knotted or flat-weave. There are a few things that you can do to keep your rugs looking beautiful for years to come:
- Vacuum all dirt from the top surface of the rug on a weekly basis with an upholstery attachment for best results.
- In between professional cleanings, spot clean spills immediately by dabbing gently with a water solution and dish soap while using white paper towels or clean cloths. Never rub stains as it may spread them further and damage the delicate fibers in your Oriental rug.
- After spot cleaning, rinse the area with water and press down firmly from the center outwards to absorb excess water and prevent further staining. Allowing moisture to remain in your rug will cause permanent damage over time due to mildew growth and odor retention in its fibers.
- Allow your Oriental rug to dry completely before placing furniture back on the area to avoid staining it again with oil residue that is left behind by furniture legs, especially if they’re made of plastic. The best way to ensure that your Oriental rug dries quickly is by using a large industrial fan pointed directly at wet spots after blotting has been completed. Another great idea is to lay a towel over the wet area and walk back and forth over it several times then move onto another section until all areas have been covered; this technique works even better than using fans because it absorbs more liquid, faster!
Oriental Rug Cleaning Services in Ocean & Monmouth County, New Jersey
How often you clean your rug depends on the wear and tear it receives. If you have a high foot traffic area, then you will want to get that area professionally cleaned more often than if the rug is in an area with lower foot traffic. As a general rule, you should have your rugs professionally cleaned every one to three years. After all, these rugs are not cheap and may be passed down through generations of your family.
When in doubt, always refer back to the manufacturer’s recommendations or consult with a professional oriental carpet cleaner for suggestions on cleaning frequency.
Due to the delicate nature of oriental rugs, it’s important to find a reputable company that specializes in oriental rug cleaning in Toms River, NJ. Here at GM Carpet Care, our number one priority is to treat your rug with the care it deserves, using methods that will not diminish the look or value of your valuable investment. Impress your friends and family with a clean rug that smells and feels wonderful for years to come!
What Are Oriental Rugs Made From?
Oriental rugs are a symbol of elegance and sophistication, recognized for their intricate designs and exquisite craftsmanship. Their creation involves the meticulous work of skilled artisans who weave each piece by hand, making every rug a unique work of art. But what exactly are these captivating pieces made from?
In general, Oriental rugs are constructed from natural materials, predominantly wool, silk, and cotton. These materials aren’t chosen at random; rather, each brings its own set of properties that contribute to the rug’s overall quality, durability, and aesthetic appeal.
Wool is one of the most common materials used in Oriental rugs and is highly favored due to its durability, resilience, and comfort underfoot. Wool from sheep living in colder climates is often considered high-quality and adds to the rug’s value. At GM Carpet Care, our carpet repair technicians and hard surface floor cleaners are well-versed in handling woolen Oriental rugs, ensuring they maintain their beauty and longevity.
Silk, while less common, is used to create more luxurious and decorative rugs. Known for its softness and lustrous sheen, silk requires careful handling, especially during cleaning. Our certified technicians at GM Carpet Care have the necessary tools and solutions to care for your silk rugs, preserving their elegant appearance.
Cotton is typically used as the foundation for these rugs. The warp and weft threads, onto which the wool or silk pile is knotted, are usually made of cotton. This strong and versatile material adds to the rug’s durability and stability.
It’s essential to note that the type and quality of materials used significantly influence an Oriental rug’s value and maintenance needs. Whether you’re a residential client in Ocean County or a commercial customer in Monmouth County, GM Carpet Care is your trusted partner for the upkeep of your Oriental rugs.
Our team has been providing top-tier carpet cleaning services to the Jersey Shore since 1978. We take pride in doing our job right – no cutting corners! Plus, our friendly customer service team is always ready to assist. So, whether you need carpet cleaning, area rug cleaning, or repair work, reach out to us. We’re here to help keep your carpets, including your Oriental rugs, in great shape.
How We Clean Your Wool Oriental Rugs
Wool Oriental rugs are more than just a decorative element; they are a testament to remarkable craftsmanship and intricate artistry. However, their beauty can be marred by dust, dirt, and stains if not cared for properly. At GM Carpet Care, we take pride in our professional approach to cleaning your wool Oriental rugs, ensuring they remain as vibrant and plush as the day you brought them home.
Our cleaning process is meticulous and thorough, using techniques and solutions that are gentle on your rug’s fibers yet effective against dirt and grime. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how we clean your wool Oriental rugs:
- Inspection: Before we begin the cleaning process, our certified technicians inspect your rug carefully to understand its material, construction, and any specific cleaning needs. This step allows us to tailor our cleaning approach to your rug’s unique requirements.
- Dusting: The next step involves extensive dusting to remove loose particles and dust from your rug. We utilize specialized tools to ensure that even deeply embedded dirt is effectively removed without damaging the rug fibers.
- Cleaning: Once the dusting is completed, we proceed to the actual cleaning process. Our team uses carefully selected solutions that are gentle on wool fibers but tough on stains and dirt. We clean your rug section by section, ensuring every part of it gets the attention it deserves.
- Acid Rinse: One of the critical steps in our cleaning process is the acid rinse. This rinse helps to soften the rug’s fibers and prevent them from browning. It also effectively neutralizes the alkaline detergent, rinses out soap from the carpet, and gets rid of any detergent residue. This step ensures your rug doesn’t just look clean but feels soft and luxurious too.
- Drying: The final step in our cleaning process is drying. We dry your rug thoroughly to prevent any moisture-related issues such as mold or mildew. Our drying process ensures your rug retains its shape and texture, keeping it looking its best.
At GM Carpet Care, we understand the value of your wool Oriental rugs, and we go above and beyond to maintain their beauty and longevity. Our certified carpet repair technicians and hard surface floor cleaners have been serving Ocean County and Monmouth County residential and commercial clients since 1978. We’re proud to offer top-tier rug and carpet cleaning services that uphold the highest standards of quality and care. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we’re here to help you keep your carpets, including your Oriental rugs, in great shape.